Adult Education and Literacy is a partnership of programs focusing on the adult student. The department offers HSE (formerly known as GED) preparation, Literacy Development, and English as a Second Language classes at no cost to students. Students will receive skills in communication, information processing, critical thinking and reading, and problem solving. Emphasis is also placed on students entering the workplace or continuing in higher education.
Please contact the Adult Education and Literacy office or stop by for a schedule of orientation dates and to learn more about how the program may meet your needs.
Barron Student Success Center (BSSC)
To ensure the safety and well-being of our students and staff, the Temple College Adult Education and Literacy program is implementing the same COVID-19 precautions that are being implemented across campus. Masks and social distancing are required for anyone coming in person. We also have adopted the following schedule:
Monday/Wednesday: Enrollments and Walk-In Questions
Students must follow the following steps to enroll for an October start date:
- Create a New Student Account
- Fill out the Temple College Application
- Choose Fall 2020 as the Enrollment Term
- Choose AEL as the Admit Type in the Enrollment Information Section
- Complete the Student Technology Remote Learning Survey
- Download and complete the Enrollment Forms
- Download and complete the ITEC Plan
- Submit the Enrollment Forms and ITEC Plan
- Walk-In: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 4 p.m.
- Drop-Off: A drop box is located at the entrance of the Barron Student Success Center (BSSC).
- Email: Email the forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday/Thursday: Testing (by Appointment Only)
Once your enrollment packet is complete, an AEL Administrator will schedule assessment testing for you. Due to high demand and limited spacing, we ask that you schedule a time you are sure that you can attend. Failure to show will result in you being placed on a standby status for the following month.
Phone and/or email support. Given limited staffing, voicemails and emails will be returned based on the scheduled subject matter. We appreciate your understanding during this period of transition.
- HSE – High School Equivalency Classes (GED & HiSET)
- HSE classes are also available as a Distance Learning option
- IET- Integrated Education and Training Programs
- ESL – English as a Second Language
- Basic Skills Enhancement
- Work Readiness/Workforce Preparation (TIESL)
- Classes are free of charge
- Books and materials are provided for use in the classroom
- Classes meet during convenient daytime and evening hours at several locations in the Central Texas area (24/7 online access for students participating in our distance learning HSE program)
- Instructors work with students to identify and plan their individual learning goals
- Encouragement is provided throughout the program
Adult Education and Literacy classes assist learners in reaching their full potential and goals as individuals, parents, community members and workers.
The Adult Education and Literacy Program assists learners to:
- Obtain employment and/or enhance their current employment
- Achieve a high school equivalency diploma (GED/HiSET)
- Obtain the necessary skills to enter post-secondary education and training
- Exit public assistance programs and become self-sufficient
- Learn to speak and write the English language
- Master basic academic skills to help their children succeed in school
- Become U.S. citizens and participate in a democratic society
- Gain self-esteem, personal confidence and a sense of personal and civic responsibility