The Adult Education and Literacy Department offers a variety of programs that focus on the adult student.
- Classes are free of charge, and books and materials are provided.
- Classes meet during convenient daytime and evening hours at several locations in the Central Texas area.
- Instructors work with students to identify and plan their individual learning goals and provide encouragement throughout the program
High School Equivalency (HSE)
Helps students improve basic skills in preparation for one of the three High School Equivalency (HSE) tests - GED, HiSET and TASC.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Equips English language learners with skills needed to advance in their careers.
Provides learners with skills needed to apply for and obtain their citizenship.
An employer-based adult literacy initiative that combines basic literacy, adult education and English language skills.
Places adult learners in Business and Continuing Education programs that can help them earn certification in entrepreneurship and high-demand fields. Scholarships are available to cover the cost of tuition and certification testing fees.
Barron Student Success Center (BSSC)
To ensure the safety and well-being of our students and staff, the Temple College Adult Education and Literacy program is implementing the same COVID-19 precautions that are being implemented across campus. Masks and social distancing are required for anyone coming in person. We also have adopted the following schedule:
Monday/Wednesday: Enrollments and Walk-In Questions
Students must follow the following steps to enroll:
- Create a New Student Account
- Fill out the Temple College Application
- Choose the enrollment term
- Choose Adult Education & Literacy as the admit type
- Choose General Education as the academic program
- Complete the Student Technology Remote Learning Survey
- Download and complete the Enrollment Forms
- Submit the Enrollment Forms via one of the following messages:
- Walk-In: Barron Student Success Center (BSSC), Room 3600 between 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 4 p.m.
- Drop-Off: A drop box is located at the entrance of the Barron Student Success Center (BSSC).
- Email: Email the forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday/Thursday: Testing (by Appointment Only)
Once your enrollment packet is complete, an AEL Administrator will schedule assessment testing for you. Due to high demand and limited spacing, we ask that you schedule a time you are sure that you can attend. Failure to show will result in you being placed on a standby status for the following month.
Phone and/or email support. Given limited staffing, voicemails and emails will be returned based on the scheduled subject matter. We appreciate your understanding during this period of transition.