BIOL 1308 Fundamentals of Biology
BIOL 1406 General Biology 1
BIOL 1407 General Biology 2
BIOL 1414 Introduction to Biotechnology
BIOL 2316 Genetics, BIOL 2416 Genetics
BIOL 2401 Anatomy and Physiology 1
BIOL 2404 Introduction to A&P
BITC 1302 – Biotechnology Laboratory Methods
BITC 2431 Cell Culture
BITC 2445 Medical Biotechnology
BITC 2459 Genomics
Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
Molecular Certificate, 2004 – 12 graduate credit hours beyond Master’s Degree
Tarleton State University, Stephenville, TX
Masters in Science Teaching in Biology, 1987
University of Texas, Austin, TX
Bachelor of Science in Biology, Majored in Marine Biology, 1985
Secondary Science Composite Teacher Certification awarded by the Texas Education Agency, 1985
- Professor of Biology, Temple College/Texas Bioscience Institute, Temple TX 2006 to present
- Biotechnology Instructor, Temple College/Texas Bioscience Institute, Temple TX, 2007 to Summer 2017 (Program closed at this time)
- Adjunct Instructor, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Belton TX, 1987-1992
Courses Taught: Botany, Anatomy and Physiology, and Genetics
- Science Teacher, Gatesville H.S., Gatesville TX, 1988-1991
Courses Taught: Biology, Introduction to Biology, Physical Science, Physics
- Substitute Teacher, Moody ISD, Moody TX, 1988
- Tutor, Sylvan Learning Center, Waco TX, 1988
Tutored students in reading and math.
- Graduate Assistant – Biology Department, Tarleton State University, Stephenville TX, 1986-1987
Courses taught: Botany Lab, Zoology Lab, and Anatomy and Physiology Lab.
- Biology Teacher, Round Rock High School, Round Rock TX, 1985-1986
Course Taught: Biology
- Student Teacher, Anderson High School, Austin TX, 1985
Course Taught: Biology
Scott and White Cytogenetic Lab, Scott and White Hospital, Temple TX, 1991 – 2006
- From 1999 to 2006 – Laboratory Supervisor – Supervised daily lab operations, assured that the laboratory was ready for accreditation inspections including the College of American Pathology, OSHA, and CLIA, aided in writing and reviewing laboratory procedures, managed chemical hygiene plan, developed and tested new procedures, managed disposal of biohazardous materials and carcinogens, supervised competency testing of employees, typed patient reports, answered physician/nurses questions regarding testing, managed cytogenetic patient database, provided quality assurance reports, assisted in hiring and training new employees, supervised medical student rotations, medical laboratory technologist rotations, UT San Antonio cytogenetic trainee rotations, and student interns from University of Mary Hardin Baylor.
- From 1991 to 1999 – Cytogenetic Technologist – Primary duties included the culture and analysis of chromosomes from blood, bone marrow, amniotic fluid, tissues, and solid tumors and DNA FISH on the above specimens and urine and paraffin breast cancer sections, tested and validated DNA FISH testing on amniotic fluid, Her2Neu testing on breast cancer paraffin sections, and Urovysion DNA FISH Testing for bladder cancer in urine, DNA FISH on miscellaneous paraffin sections.
Research Assistant, University of Texas Marine Science Institute, Port Aransas TX, 1984, Performed duties as assigned.
Chemistry Lab Assistance, Tarleton State University, Stephenville TX, 1982
Assisted students with lab experiments.
Sperm Cell Aneuploidy in Semen, Swim-up Preparations and the Zona Pellucida of Ova and Embryos from In Vitro Fertilization, S. B. Hudson, S. M. Dobin, K. J. Clawson, T. J. Wincek, J. F. Pliego, T. J. Kuehl. Fertility and Sterility 09/2004; 82. DOI:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2004.07.248
- Cancer Genetics Cytogenetics. 2001 Jul 1;128(1):11-3. Isochromosome (17)(q10) as the Sole Structural Chromosomal Rearrangement in a Case of Botryoid Rhabdomyosarcoma, Clawson K, Donner LR, Dobin SM.Department of Pathology, Scott & White Clinic and Memorial Hospital, Texas A&M University Health Science Center, Temple, TX 76508, USA.
- Cancer Genetics Cytogenetics. 2001 Jun;127(2):140-2. Translocation (2;15)(p23;q21.2) and Interstitial Deletion of 7q in a Case of Low-Grade Myxofibrosarcoma.Clawson K, Donner LR, Dobin SM. Department of Pathology, Scott & White Clinic and Memorial Hospital, Scott, Sherwood and Brindley Foundation, Texas A&M University Health Science Center, College of Medicine, Temple, TX, USA.
- Cancer Genetics Cytogenetics. 2000 Jun;119(2):127-31. Sclerosing Epithelioid Fibrosarcoma: a Cytogenetic, Immunohistochemical, and Ultrastructural Study of an Unusual Histological Variant. Donner LR, Clawson K, Dobin SM. Department of Pathology, Scott & White Clinic and Memorial Hospital, Scott, Sherwood and Brindley Foundation, Texas A&M University System Health Science Center, College of Medicine, Temple, TX 76508, USA.
- Spring Seminar Presentation – “DNA Testing, To or Not to Do, that is the Question…”, 2018, Also presented during Zero Week to TC Faculty and Staff, Presented to Physicians Emeritus Group, Temple
- Spring Seminar Presentation – “Cytogenetics – Could this be a career for you?”, 2016
- Presentation to Temple College Board “More Science, Less Talk”- Integrating Active Learning into my Science Classes, 2016
- Presentation to Manor Middle School Students – “How can we see abnormalities in the DNA?”, 2014
- “TBI Overview” to Federation of Women, Temple, TX, 2011
- National Institute for Staff and Organization Development (NISOD) Conference: “Using Multiple Forms of Technology to Ensure Success of the Intro Student in Anatomy and Physiology”, 2010
National Institute of Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD) Award for Teaching Excellence – 2009