Temple College Procedures

Can a grade be taken off my transcript?

It is the policy of Temple College not to take a grade off a transcript.

Can high school students take classes?

Yes, as long as they have completed or are exempt from the Texas Success Initiative placement test, and provide a high school transcript and a letter from the high school principal or counselor giving permission to enroll in Temple College classes.They also may be able to take dual credit classes. For dual credit information see your high school counselor.

Can I add a class or change my schedule?

Yes, see an advisor.

Can I register for another student?


Can I repeat a course?

Yes. At Temple College, students can repeat a course. However, some transfer institutions will evaluate repeated courses differently. Check with the transfer institution. Repeating a course for a third time will result in additional tuition costs.

Does Temple College have a core curriculum?

Yes. See Core Curriculum.

Does Temple College offer the College Level Examination Program (CLEP)?

Yes, contact the Testing Center for more information. The Testing Coordinator must be notified a month in advance for the CLEP testing.

How do I get a part-time job?

Check with Financial Aid. They can assist you with locating a job, both on and off campus.

How do I get an “I” incomplete grade?

All grades, including the “I” are determined by your instructor. Please refer to academic policies and grading system in the college catalog.

How do I get departmental or instructor approval for a course?

The division can identify the appropriate contact person for special approvals. Look in the back of the catalog for division locations.

How do I remove an “I” incomplete grade from my record?

An “I” grade is an extension of time to complete the requirements of a course. It is your responsibility to contact your instructor to arrange to complete the coursework so that he/she can change your grade.

How do I withdraw from my class?

To drop a course you must complete a withdrawal form and see an advisor. Check the semester schedule for deadlines on withdrawing from courses. Students should meet with their instructor before dropping any course. Students on Financial Aid should also check how the drop may impact funding before dropping the class.

How many credits should I take if I am employed?

For every hour in class, you can expect to spend a minimum of two hours of study and preparation. Family commitments, health and personal situations will influence the number of hours a student will be able to complete successfully. (Divorces, death in family, legal difficulties, illness or personal problems will require time and energy.) The number of credit hours a working student can reasonably take should be discussed with an advisor.

If I never attend class will I automatically be dropped?

No, students must file the appropriate forms to drop the class before the withdrawal deadline or the student will receive an “F” for the course.

If I repeat a course, what happens?

Only the higher grade will be used in calculating the grade point average and applied toward degree and program requirements. Not all transfer institutions will calculate repeated coursework the same way. Check with the transfer institution to verify policy.

If it’s too late, what happens if I withdraw anyway?

After the withdrawal deadline has passed, a grade will be awarded for that course. Failure to attend classes will result in a failing grade.

Is financial aid available for students at Temple College?

Yes, all students are advised to complete the FAFSA and contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

What do I do if I get failing or poor grades?

Meet with an Advisor or a Success Coach to discuss strategies for success and campus resources.

What is a prerequisite?

A prerequisite is a course that must be completed before a higher-level course may be attempted. Course prerequisites are listed in the course description section of the catalog.

When is it too late for a refund?

Check the semester schedule for the dates of the refund schedule.

Where do I get Veterans assistance?

Veterans wishing to enroll and receive veteran’s benefits should contact the VA Coordinator in One College Centre.

Who can change grades?

It is the responsibility of the instructor to determine grades for a class. If an Instructor decides a change of grade is warranted, he/she submits a grade change form through TConnect. For the grade appeals procedure, see the Student Handbook.

Will my credits transfer to other Texas institutions?

Most of the curriculum will transfer to other state institutions. Many other classes will also transfer although some will only count as elective credit. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE STUDENT TO CHECK WITH THE COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY TO WHICH THEY WISH TO TRANSFER.

Learning Assistance

Are there special services for students with disabilities?

Contact the Coordinator of Student Accommodations in One College Centre.

How can I develop better study skills?

A study skills class is an excellent way to improve study skills. The course can be taken as a regular weekly class. See the class schedule for the STSK 0305 for the time and days it is offered. The Education Assistance Center also offers workshops to improve learning skills.

How can I get a tutor?

Free tutoring is available through the TRIO program and the Education Assistance Center. In addition, tutors are available in many other areas of the school, e.g., math lab, computer lab.

How can I get academic advising?

Go to the Advising Center during regular working hours.

If my class is cancelled, what do I do?

See an advisor. Classes may be cancelled if there is insufficient enrollment. If your class is cancelled, you should try enrolling in another section or course. You may use the amount you paid for the cancelled class as credit for the cost of your new course. If you are unable to add another course, the college will mail you your refund.

What if I cannot attend every class session?

It is important to talk to your instructor about any absences. Attendance is mandatory. Many instructors consider attendance so essential that your grade could be affected by your absence.

What if I do not have the prerequisites for the class I want?

Check with the department offering the class. The coordinator of the department may be able to give you the permission to register if you have the necessary skills to complete the course successfully.

What if my job interferes with my class?

It is wise to plan carefully to avoid conflicts with your work and class schedule. However, if a conflict does occur, contact your instructor. Sometimes arrangements can be made that will enable you to complete the course. The earlier your instructor knows, the more likely she/he will be able to help.

What if the class I need is not offered this term?

Each department at Temple College determines course offerings based on previous enrollment. Contact the division concerning the course you need. They need to know if there is additional student demand and may be able to provide alternative courses.

Graduation Requirements

Do four-year colleges require that I have an associate degree before I transfer?

Most four year colleges do not require you to have an associate degree.

How do I know if I meet graduation requirements?

Have a degree check completed in the Advising Center.

Note: If you meet graduation requirements, fill out a graduation application and submit it to the Advising Office.


How many hours are needed for an associate degree?

Associate degrees require 60 or more hours depending upon the program. See Degree Plans.

If I have not been following a degree plan, can I get an associate degree?

Degrees are awarded when all requirements listed on a degree plan are satisfied. Request a degree evaluation in the Advising Office if you are in doubt. You can also check your Program Evaluation on TConnect.

If I take classes not listed on my education plan will they count toward graduation?

Your education plan lists all the courses required for graduation. Other courses may not count toward graduation. Check with your advisor. Some programs will accept a limited number of electives.

What kinds of degrees are available?

There are three associate degrees offered at Temple College. They are: Associate of Arts, Associate of Applied Science, and Associate of Science. There are also Certificate programs available. The Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees provides general academic courses, which are designed to enable students to transfer to four-year institutions. The Associate of Applied Science degree prepares students to enter and compete in the job market.

Note: Students should remember that the majority of credits earned in most vocational technical programs are designed to develop workplace competencies and may not transfer.

Transfer Information

Are there substitute classes I can take that Temple College will accept?

You would need to talk with an advisor in your major. The head of that division will make the final decision. A description of the course from the course schedule or catalog will be needed to determine if Temple College has an equivalent course.

Can I take less than 60 semester credits and still transfer?

Many schools will consider your application with less than 60 credits. There may be additional restrictions. To be sure, contact the transfer institution.

Do vocational technical credits transfer to other institutions?

Vocational technical courses in general do not transfer. However, transferability depends on the institution. Requirements vary. Contact the transfer institution to be sure.

How can I transfer credits from another school to Temple College?

Write your school and request an official copy of your transcript be sent to:
Admissions and Records Office
Temple College
2600 South First Street
Temple, Texas 76504 (Fees may be required)

How can I transfer my Temple College credits to another school?

An official, certified PDF of your transcript can be ordered through Parchment. Orders are generally processed within a few business days (Allow additional processing time for high-volume periods). A transcript is an official copy of a student’s academic record showing the student’s academic status at the time it is issued. The official transcript includes the complete academic record of courses taken at Temple College. Copies of other schools’ transcripts are NOT included. Official transcripts are not issued until ALL OUTSTANDING ACCOUNTS with the college are paid. Students should check for current holds prior to ordering transcripts. Please allow additional processing time for legacy records prior to 1990.

Parchment Self-Service

How do I change quarter hours to semester hours?

0.67 quarter hours = 1 semester hour.

How do I know if I will get into the program at the school to which I am planning to transfer?

It is recommended that you contact the Admissions Office at the transfer institution to determine requirements.

How do I know that they will accept the courses I take at Temple College?

The Texas Common Course Numbering system (TCCNS) has been designed to aid students in the transfer of general academic courses between colleges and universities throughout Texas. Check on the transferability of courses between individual colleges at http://www.tccns.org/. Students should always consult with an advisor at their chosen transfer institution to determine the specific requirements of their major.

How do I know what credits Temple College will accept from my school?

When Temple College receives your transcript, the Admissions Department will evaluate it. Your degree evaluation will show the courses and credits that were accepted.

Note: Please allow up to six weeks for credits to show on your degree evaluation. If you need to register and your transcript has not been evaluated, please contact the Advising Office.

Is there a limit to the number of credits a four-year college will accept from Temple College?

Typically a four-year college will accept up to one half of a bachelor’s degree program from a community college. There are exceptions to this. Contact the Admissions Office at the college where you plan to transfer.

What classes do I need to transfer?

There are course equivalency guides available for many but not all possible transfer programs. You will need to determine what your major will be and what school you plan to attend. Contact that college/university for its requirements.

What if I do not know where I will transfer or what my major will be?

Advising may be helpful in this event. It is better to focus on the general course requirements for the A.A. degree until you have a better idea of your direction. The Advising Center has information that may help you decide.

Where can I get a catalog for the school to which I am planning to transfer?

Most colleges have their catalog on their website.

Choosing A Major

Can I just “sit-in” on classes until I find out if the classes interest me?

Normally, only students who have paid tuition for a class can occupy a seat in the classroom. You may enroll on an audit basis for an additional fee. However, first priority is given to non-audit students.

Do I have to declare a major?

Yes, contact the Advising Office if you are unsure which major to choose.

How can I find out about off-campus classes and where they are offered?

Off-campus classes are listed in the “Schedule of Classes”.

How can I find out the classes I will need for my major?

See your advisor.

How do I change my major?

Forms are available in the Advising Office.

How do I choose a major/career?

Some of the ways to take the career assessment testing offered through the Advising Office or to use DISCOVER. (a computer-assisted career guidance system), talk to people who are in jobs you might like, or seek career counseling with an adviser.

How do I know which classes to start with?

See your advisor to help you develop your education plan.

I am working. Are most of the classes offered in the evening?

Yes, over a period of several terms. Check the Schedule of Classes.

I cannot read very well. Will this affect my major?

Yes. Many majors involve classes that require a great deal of reading. The ACCUPLACER test should tell you if you are at college reading level. Developmental classes are available to develop your reading skills.

I have a lot of work experience. Can I get college credit for it?

Check with the Admissions Office.

What are the basics? Will they apply to any major?

Basics are usually general education courses. Basics are courses that are required of all students in a program or at an institution. However, since different schools have different requirements, the basics may vary.

Core Curriculum Courses

What majors have the best chance for a job?

The Texas Workforce Commission should be contacted for the most up-to-date information.