Office Hours

Fall and Spring Semester

Monday thru Thursday
8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

8 a.m. – Noon

Summer Semester

Monday thru Thursday
7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.


Financial Literacy Resources

Financial Aid Information (Spanish)

Contact Us

One College Centre (OCC), First Floor


 Financial Aid Staff


Available Work Study Jobs

Getting Started

You may be eligible to receive federal financial aid if:

  • You have a high school diploma, have completed high school in a homeschool setting approved under state law, have a General Educational Development GED,  or have a state certificate or test transcript received after passing a state-authorized examination the state recognizes as the equivalent of a high school diploma e.g., High School Equivalency Test HISET, etc .
  • You are enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program.
  • You are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • You have a valid Social Security Number.
  • You maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements at all times.
  • You are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe a refund on federal grant.

Complete and submit your application for admission. Apply Now!

Fall Semester
  • JUNE 1st
Spring Semester
  • NOVEMBER 1st
Summer Sessions
  • APRIL 1st (limited aid available)

To apply for Federal financial aid visit You will need to create an account and log in to the Federal Student Aid page. Follow directions on the page to complete the FAFSA. If you are under 24 years of age and not married, your parents will also need to create an account to fill out their portion of the FAFSA. Remember to add the Temple College code (00362700) so we get a copy of your report.

1. Check your TC EMAIL for any messages about your financial aid.

2. Check your Self Service account for notice of missing documents.

3. Submit all required and/or missing documentation to Financial Aid.



One College Centre on Main Campus

4. Receive an Award Notification for Temple College.

In this step, the student has the option to accept or reject Direct Loans on Self Service. If you need federal Direct Loans, please complete the following steps:

  1. Register for at least 6 credit hours or more
  2. Accept loans on Self Service
  3. If you are borrowing for the first time:
    1. Visit and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
    2. Complete online Entrance Counseling at for Temple College.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get Financial Aid for the Summer?

Summer terms at Temple College are considered part of the prior academic year for awarding and payment of financial aid. Students are limited to receiving any unused financial aid eligibilities from the prior fall and spring semesters. This means that in most cases summer financial aid is very limited. Students must meet the following criteria to receive financial aid in the summer:

  1. Meet the General Eligibility Requirements mentioned earlier in this document.
  2. Not be considered a transient student, i.e., coming to Temple College in the summer and returning to a home institution for the fall/spring semesters.

*Summer loans and Pell grants are calculated on an individual basis. Students must complete a summer intent form in order to be considered for financial aid during the summer term.

Can I still get a Direct Loan if I have a student loan in default?

No. You must contact your lender and make arrangements to pay off your previous student loan. Generally you must make at least 6 consecutive monthly payments before you will be eligible to take out a new Direct Loan.

Can I still get a Direct Loan if I have gone through bankruptcy?

Yes. If you are currently working with a bankruptcy attorney, you should seek his/her advice before taking on additional debt.

Do I have to be a full-time student to be eligible for a Direct Loan?

No, you must be enrolled in at least six hours (3 of them being college credit).

Do I have to be a full-time student to be eligible for a Pell Grant?

No, Pell Grant awards are prorated based on your enrollment status and EFC.* The annual Pell award is divided between the Fall and Spring semesters. If a student is not full-time during the Fall and Spring semesters, they may have remaining Pell grant eligibility for the summer.

  • 12 hours or more
    • full semester’s award
  • 9-11 hours
    • usually three-fourths of the semester’s award, based upon eligibility*
  • 6-8 hours
    • usually half of the semester’s award, based upon eligibility*
  • 1-5 hours
    • a fractional amount of the semester’s award, based upon eligibility*

*NOTE: Some students, based upon their EFC, may not be eligible for a Pell grant if less than full-time.

Do I have to reapply for Financial Aid every year?

Yes. You must complete the FAFSA once each academic year to apply for Financial Aid.

Do I need to complete the FAFSA before applying for a Direct Loan?

Yes, it is mandatory for students to complete the FAFSA before applying for a Direct Loan because the FAFSA allows the Financial Aid Office to determine your general eligibility for a Direct Loan. There are subsidized and unsubsidized loans available. The subsidized loans are awarded based on need. This need is determined by the results from the FAFSA. More information is available at

Does Financial Aid pay for 8-week Classes?

As required by the Department of Education, you must register for at least 6 credit hours in the 16-week/first 8-week in order to get Direct Loans.  Pell is calculated by the number of hours you are in during you initial registration.  After the semester has started, adding extra classes may require you to pay for those courses out of pocket, and dropping classes may result in you owing the college money. Always speak to a Financial Aid advisor before making any changes to your schedule after the start of the semester.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program FAQs

What is FWS?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a program that funds jobs for students with financial need. Awards are based on need as determined by the FAFSA to help pay for college expenses.

How is FWS awarded?

FWS is based on the FAFSA. It will appear with your award package if you are eligible.

Work-Study is pending on Self Service. How do I accept it?

Students are unable to ‘accept’ the work-study aid. You must apply for a work-study position. Once you are hired, the Work-Study Coordinator will accept the aid.

How do I notify the Financial Aid Office that I am being hired?

Once a student finds potential employment on campus, they should advise the Supervisor to submit an email to the Work-Study Coordinator. The Work-Study Coordinator will update the students online application to Hired, which will notify Human Resources. The student will then complete the Human Resources required online trainings and then submit ALL documents to the Human Resources office.

I was originally awarded FWS and declined it, but now I want to accept it. What should I do?

If you declined your FWS but now want to accept it, you must complete the Financial Aid Adjustment Form. Keep in mind you must still show financial need for the FWS. Other aid you may have received, including loans, grants, or scholarships that were not part of your original Financial Aid package, may impact your eligibility.

Can FWS be deducted from the tuition bill?

FWS is earned as you work. It is paid to you in the form of a paycheck. It cannot be applied toward your tuition bill.

How does a student get a job assignment?

FWS job openings are not currently posted online. In order to change job assignments, the student should contact the potential hiring department and have them forward an email request to the Work-Study Coordinator. The student should also notify their current department Supervisor of their plans to resign.

How much will students be paid an hour?

Students are paid $7.50 per hour.

How often are work-study students paid?

Work-study students are paid once a month, at the end of the month (last day).

Are the jobs on campus or off- campus?

Jobs are available on campus and off- campus, but most are on campus.

What if a student earns all his/her FWS award before the award year is over?  Can it be increased?

It may be possible to increase the FWS allotment if funds are available and if the student still has remaining eligibility. Contact the Work-Study Coordinator in the Financial Aid office to find out if your award can be increased.

Is FWS taxable income?

If a student earns enough income to file a tax return, it must be included as taxable income for federal and state purposes.

Do students have to report FWS earnings on the FAFSA?

Students must report FWS earnings on the FAFSA.

Do FWS earnings count against the student to get aid for next year?

FWS earnings do not count against the student for the following year’s federal financial aid. Even though students report FWS as part of their total income on the FAFSA, there is a separate place on the FAFSA where FWS earnings are reported and the FAFSA formula does not count that against the student. FAFSA Question 44 part D states: Taxable college grant and scholarship aid reported to the IRS in your adjusted gross income. Includes AmeriCorps benefits (awards, living allowances and interest accrual payments), as well as grant and scholarship portions of fellowships and assistantships.

How can students find out more specific information regarding student employment?

Currently, specific job postings are not listed online. In addition, the Work-Study Coordinator does not receive a list of potential jobs. Students are encouraged to visit multiple departments on campus to inquire if they are hiring work-study students.

How can I get a FWS position?

The first step in getting a FWS position is to apply for financial aid.  Filing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) will establish eligibility for FWS as well as other types of federal financial aid. Be sure to indicate interest in Work-Study where the question is asked. Once the form is processed, you must return required supporting documents to the Financial Aid Office. When everything is received, the Financial Aid Office will review your file to determine your eligibility. Once your FWS eligibility has been determined, you will need to submit your Student Employment Application online at

How do I go about applying and getting a FWS position?

You will receive an email from Temple College requesting that you access your TConnect portal to review (accept or decline) your award. If you are eligible for FWS, it will be listed with a dollar amount on the award letter in a pending status. The dollar amount is the maximum a student may earn for the academic year on the FWS Program. Summer FWS awards are determined separately upon request if sufficient funding remains. You will submit the Student Employment Application online. Once a department reviews your application, they will contact you for an interview. If the interview is successful you should be hired into a FWS position. The hiring department will notify you immediately of the start date and departmental guidelines.

Is there a FWS job for every eligible student?

Unfortunately, no. Students are placed in jobs on a first-come, first-served basis once eligibility has been determined. FWS funds are awarded to each school by the government, not directly to each student. Once the funds granted to the school for this purpose are earned by students, the government does not award additional funds until the following year. When funds are allocated, the school does not know how many students will actually choose to work or how many hours they will work, so more students receive awards than can work, to ensure that the funds are used. However, it has been our experience that most students who are interested in working as FWS students are placed in jobs within the first two months of the academic year.

Do I have to work to get the funds?

You are not required to participate in the FWS program, but working in a FWS position is the only way you will have access to the funds.

Must I accept the job offered to me?

You will have an opportunity to consider the jobs available at the time you want to start working. After interviewing with a department supervisor, you decide whether or not to accept the job. If you decide not to accept a job, you may consider other jobs which are available, on a first-come, first-served basis.

Am I paid to study?

FWS jobs are real jobs with real responsibilities. You are paid to work. A few jobs may include time when you may read, but most do not.

If I don’t use all the award money this year, can I use the FWS funds I got this year to work next year? If I have FWS this year, will I have it next year?

FWS is a form of financial aid and, like other forms of financial aid, may be used only in the year for which it was awarded. You must reapply for this, as well as all other types of aid, each year by filing the FAFSA. There is no guarantee that you will receive FWS each year, as it is part of your total financial aid package and will be influenced by other types of aid you receive (including loans), family income and your non-FWS income during the previous year. All of these items are variable and can impact your eligibility.

Can I return to the same FWS job each year?

If you are eligible for FWS and want to return to the same department, you may return, assuming that the department wants you back. You must apply for financial aid each year and you must be eligible for work-study each year.

Hazlewood Act Policy

The Hazlewood Exemption (Hazlewood Act) is an education benefit provided to honorably discharged or separated Texas Veterans and/or their eligible dependents. Eligible veterans and/or dependents may qualify for an exemption of tuition and fees for up to 150 credit hours. For more information on how you may qualify and maintain your eligibility for this exemption, visit the Texas Veterans Commission Hazlewood Act website.

Eligible students must submit the Texas Hazlewood Act Application and all supporting documentation for consideration for the Hazlewood Act Exemption. Once the student has been awarded the Hazlewood Act Exemption at Temple College, they must submit the Application for Continued Enrollment each semester. If the student has a break in enrollment (this does not include Summer term), they must once again fill out the Full Application and submit applicable supporting documents to be considered for the exemption. All applications must be submitted by the last day of the semester to be considered for the exemption for that specific term. In the event that an eligible Veteran or dependent is unable to submit all appropriate documentation by the deadline, the student will be responsible for payment of all tuition and fees.

Students eligible for a Hazlewood Act Exemption of tuition and fees must abide by Temple College’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy. If the student is placed on Financial Aid Suspension, then he or she will become ineligible to use the exemption. The student may reinstate eligibility once he/she has established Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status.

Receiving the Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption is subject to the current semester application. Receipt of the Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption at another institution does not guarantee the applicant is eligible to receive the exemption at Temple College. All regulations regarding the Hazlewood Act are subject to change per the Texas Veterans Commission.

Any questions about the Hazelwood Exemption at Temple College should be directed to the Financial Aid Office.

Hazlewood Exemption Resources

Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Application –,%20June%202016.pdf

Examples of Acceptable Supporting Documents:

DD Form 214 (request one here:

Acceptable Copies:

    • Member – 4
    • Service – 2
    • VA – 3
    • DOL – 5
    • State DVA – 6
    • Service – 7
    • Service – 8

Certificate of Eligibility – If Veteran’s final discharge is after 9/11/2001

DD Form 1300 (Report of Casualty for service related death)

Death Certificate (Veteran is deceased, not service connected)

VA Summary of Benefits Letter (Generated at the eBenefits website)

Relationship Documents – copy of official:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate/License
  • Adoption Papers
  • IRS Tax Transcript (within one year)


Hazlewood Student Hours –

Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Application for Continued Enrollment –,%20June%202016.pdf

Revocation of Previously Assigned Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Hours –,%20June%202016.pdf

Hazlewood Exemption FAQs

Q: Do I need a new application each semester?

A: Yes, however, if you have not taken a break in enrollment you only need to fill out the Continued Enrollment Application. Summer break is not considered a break in enrollment. If you have a break in enrollment, the full application and supporting documentation will be required for reconsideration.

Q: Do you need an official copy of my relationship documentation?

A: Temple College requires a copy of the official document. In most instances, this requires a stamp or seal on the original document. Temple College reserves the right to request an official copy of the document if the copy is illegible or does not contain a stamp or seal.

Q: Am I able to repeat a course and still be covered by the exemption?

A: There is no restriction in the law preventing you from repeating a course, but use your benefit hours wisely!

Q: If I received the Hazlewood Exemption at another institution, will I automatically qualify for the Exemption at Temple College?

A: No, an application for the exemption and all supporting documents must be turned in and reviewed at Temple College for consideration. The Exemption is not guaranteed.

Q: Can I receive Hazlewood Exemption hours at 2 institutions in the same semester?

A: If you are the veteran applying for this exemption, then yes. If you are a spouse/dependent of the qualifying veteran, then Hazlewood is only applicable to one institution per semester.

Q: Can my sibling and I receive Hazlewood Legacy hours at the same time?

A: No, Legacy Hours are passed to one child at a time. If there are any hours still remaining, the Revocation form can be submitted with the new application to assign the remaining hours to a new child.

Q: Can I receive Hazlewood Exemption while I am still enlisted in active duty?

A: Someone who is on active duty can use the Hazlewood Act for themselves or their dependent if they have a qualifying DD214. This is a rare occasion, but there are some cases where someone is serving on active duty and they were previously enlisted, meaning they completed an enlistment and have a DD214, then decided to join another branch or re-join the military, these members would be eligible to use the Hazlewood Act.

How can I fix a defaulted student loan?

You must contact your lender/servicer of your loan. There are several options for you to consider in order to clear the defaulted loan.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

  • You must first apply to Temple College using our online application.
  • Then you will apply for financial aid online through
    • After you have completed the FAFSA, Temple College will receive and process your student aid report, which can take several weeks. Once it’s processed, you will receive an email and be able to review your awards on TConnect.
  • If you’re a veteran, please see our Veterans Affairs page for more information about financial benefits.

How do I get my books if I don’t have my refund yet?

Once your financial aid awards have been posted to your account and you have received your award letter, you will be able to go to the Temple College Bookstore during the designated dates and charge your books to your financial aid account.

After the allocated time for charging books to financial aid has passed, you will have to pay with your own funds.

How will I get my Financial Aid refund?

1. Set up account with TouchNet.

2. Make sure you do not have any holds on your account (i.e. parking tickets, outstanding balances…etc.).

Must I have a High School Diploma or GED before taking college classes?

Not necessarily. If you were enrolled in college or career school prior to July 1, 2012, or if you are currently enrolled in an eligible career pathway program, you may show you’re qualified to obtain a college education by:

  • having completed six credit hours or equivalent course work toward a degree or certificate or
  • passing an approved ability-to-benefit test. Follow these 3 steps.
  1. Complete the Temple College Application. Apply Now
  2. Complete the FAFSA at
  3. Take the Ability To Benefit test at the Temple College Testing Center.

For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office. Your financial aid counselor can tell you which programs may be eligible.

What are the requirements to be considered an independent student for FAFSA?

The Federal Law determines a students’ independent status.  If you answer yes to any of the questions listed below, then you will be considered an independent student.

  • Will you be at least 24 years of age before January 1, of the school year for which you are applying?
  • Do you have a Bachelor’s Degree?
  • As of today are you married?  (Answer “Yes” if you are separated but not divorced.)
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, of the school year for which you are applying?
  • Are you an orphan, or are you or were you (until age 18) a ward/dependent of the court?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

What is Financial Aid?

Financial Aid is funds provided from the Department of Education or the State of Texas to help students pay for college if they need financial assistance. Financial Aid is available in the form of grants, a federal work study program and federal student loans according to financial need, academic grades, academic load and/or other eligibility requirements. A student’s personal and family resources are considered in determining the student’s financial need. Financial Aid is intended to supplement, not replace, the financial resources needed to pay for college.

What is Temple College’s school code for FAFSA?

The Temple College school code is 003627.

What is verification?

FAFSA verification is a process to check the accuracy of the information students enter on their FAFSA. Temple College is required by federal regulations to verify students selected by the Department of Education. The verification process consists of providing Temple College with documents used to complete the FAFSA. Temple College will then compare the information on the documents to the data entered on the application.

Students selected for verification will receive an e-mail on their Temple College email from the Financial Aid Office that tells them to check TConnect for the documents required for verification.

The FAFSA verification process must be complete before a student will receive financial aid.

Documents may be faxed to the Financial Aid Office at 254-298-8252, scanned and emailed to, or turned in at One College Centre on the Main Campus, EWCHEC-Hutto or EWCHEC-Taylor.

If the information on the FAFSA application has been determined to be accurate, the student will receive a notice by e-mail to check TConnect to see what financial aid the student is eligible to receive.

If the information on the FAFSA application is different from that on the documents submitted for verification, Temple College will send the correct information to the Department of Education. Once the correction is processed and sent back to Temple College, the student will receive a notice by e-mail to check TConnect to determine what financial aid the student is eligible to receive.

When should I apply for Financial Aid?

The earlier the better! It’s best to apply early to avoid delays in processing your application and getting your financial aid funds.

To ensure that financial aid is available at the time you need to pay your tuition, complete and submit the FAFSA online and any requested documentation to TC’s Financial Aid office by these dates:

  • Fall semester JUNE 1
  • Spring semester NOV 1
  • Summer sessions April 1 (limited aid available)

If you apply after these deadlines, financial aid may not be available when your tuition payment is due.

When will my Financial Aid balance be available for refund?

Generally, the classes you are enrolled in AND ATTENDING will determine the amount of financial aid you will receive. If you decrease your enrollment status, your financial aid may be adjusted to ensure that it is the appropriate amount for your enrollment level. Students with files completed at the time of registration will have their financial aid credited to their Temple College account. This credit will be used to pay registration costs including tuition, fees and books. Any credit balance remaining will be disbursed to students according to the Refund Date Schedule.

Grants’, including Pell grant, and certain scholarships’ credit balances are disbursed to students according to the Refund Date Schedule for those who have Financial Aid files completed at the time of registration. Students completing their files late will be paid later in the semester.

TC Foundation Success Scholarships will not be refunded until after the semester ends, as long as the student remains eligible. Please check with the TC Foundation for more information.

Direct Loan credit balances are disbursed according to the Refund Date Schedule for students who have completed all loan steps prior to registration. Students completing their files late will be paid later in the semester.