Adult Education and Literacy is a partnership of programs focusing on the adult student. The department offers HSE (formerly known as GED) preparation, Literacy Development, and English as a Second Language classes at no cost to students. Students will receive skills in communication, information processing, critical thinking and reading, and problem solving. Emphasis is also placed on students entering the workplace or continuing in higher education.
Please contact the Adult Education and Literacy office or stop by for a schedule of orientation dates and to learn more about how the program may meet your needs.
Barron Student Success Center (BSSC)
- HSE – High School Equivalency Classes (GED & HiSET)
- HSE classes are also available as a Distance Learning option
- IET- Integrated Education and Training Programs
- ESL – English as a Second Language
- Basic Skills Enhancement
- Work Readiness/Workforce Preparation (TIESL)
- Classes are free of charge
- Books and materials are provided for use in the classroom
- Classes meet during convenient daytime and evening hours at several locations in the Central Texas area (24/7 online access for students participating in our distance learning HSE program)
- Instructors work with students to identify and plan their individual learning goals
- Encouragement is provided throughout the program
Adult Education and Literacy classes assist learners in reaching their full potential and goals as individuals, parents, community members and workers.
The Adult Education and Literacy Program assists learners to:
- Obtain employment and/or enhance their current employment
- Achieve a high school equivalency diploma (GED/HiSET)
- Obtain the necessary skills to enter post-secondary education and training
- Exit public assistance programs and become self-sufficient
- Learn to speak and write the English language
- Master basic academic skills to help their children succeed in school
- Become U.S. citizens and participate in a democratic society
- Gain self-esteem, personal confidence and a sense of personal and civic responsibility